The Statistical Office in Bydgoszcz is part of the official statistics services subordinated to Statistics Poland. Its territorial range of activity covers the area of the Kujawsko-Pomorskie Voivodship and it acts pursuant to:
- Law dated 29 June 1995 on Public Statistics (consolidated text in Dz. U. – Journal of Laws – of 2019, item 649 as amended),
- Regulation No. 2 of the President of Statistics Poland dated 22 February 2012 on the statute for the Statistical Office in Bydgoszcz (Dz. Urz. GUS – Official Journal of Statistics Poland, item 10 as amended),
- Law dated 21 November 2008 on Civil Service (Dz. U. – Journal of Laws – No. 227, item 1505 as amended),
- Organisational Statute of the Office.
According to the above acts main tasks of the Statistical Office in Bydgoszcz include:
- organising and conducting statistical surveys, including censuses,
- collecting, storing, processing and compiling data used for statistical research conducted according to the statistical survey programme of official statistics,
- promoting and disseminating statistical information about the results of statistical surveys conducted by official statistics, including basic figures and indicators,
- administering two national official registers: the National Official Business Register (REGON) and the National Official Register of the Territorial Division of the Country (TERYT) in the part concerning the Kujawsko-Pomorskie Voivodship.
Additionally, the office specializes in performing nation-wide tasks on behalf of the official statistics services as a whole in the area of labour market statistics regarding persons employed in the national economy, unemployed persons, unemployed persons and job seekers who are registered in labour offices, the demand for labour, work time, work permits for foreigners and earnings.